What to Do if Your Immigrant Visa Expires (before you use it)

posted in: Immigration Issues | 0

If your immigrant visa has expired before you could use it to travel to the U.S., you should contact the Immigrant Visa Unit of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issued your visa.  You do not need to file a new petition with USCIS, but you may need to submit a new immigrant visa application (DS-260) and pay another immigrant visa application processing fee.  In addition, you may need to submit new supporting documents, such as a new medical examination and police certificate. You should be prepared to return your unused, expired visa and visa package (if applicable).  Requests to reissue or replace visas are considered by the immigrant visa unit that originally issued the visa on a case-by-case basis. You should be prepared to re-establish your eligibility for the visa. As with any visa, there is no guarantee that the Embassy or Consulate will approve and issue a new visa.