Documents to Bring

1. Photocopies of forms and documents already submitted;

2. Originals of supporting documents already submitted;

3. Documents specifically listed on your USCIS interview appointment notice

4. Permanent Resident or Alien Registration Card

5. State-Issued Identification

Bring a valid State-issued identification, such as a driver’s license.

6. Passports and Travel Documents

Bring valid and expired passports, as well as any travel documents, such as re-entry permits, issued by USCIS.

7. Evidence of Your Current Legal Marital Status

Bring the original of all marriage certificates, divorce or annulment decrees, death certificates, and other official records to confirm your marital history and your current legal marital status.

8. Evidence of the Termination of Your Spouse’s Prior Marriage(s)

Bring the original of your current spouse’s divorce certificate. If your spouse is widowed, bring the original of his or her former spouse’s death certificate. If neither of these are available, bring any other evidence that indicates the termination of your spouse’s marriage for consideration.

9. Name Change(s)

If you have changed your name at any time, bring the document(s) that legally changed your name(s), such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, name change petition, or other official record if you ever changed your name.

10.    Other Documents

Depending on the circumstances, you should bring certain documents to your interview. You may also submit copies of these documents with your application. For example:

A. Spouse of a U.S. Citizen

Bring the following items to your interview if you are applying for naturalization on the basis of your marriage to a U.S. citizen:

(1) Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years at the time you file your Form N-400.

Such evidence may include: a birth certificate (if your spouse never lost U.S. citizenship since birth), Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Form FS-240 Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America;

(2) Evidence of the termination of all your prior marriages; and

(3) Evidence that you and your spouse have lived in marital union for at least 3 years at the time you file your Form N-400. Such evidence may include:

(a) Joint bank and credit card statements;

(b) Leases or mortgages;

(c) Birth certificates of children;

(d) Insurance policies; and

(e) Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you and your spouse filed for the past 3 years (or an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years).

B. Spouse of a U.S. Citizen Who is Regularly Stationed Abroad

Bring evidence demonstrating your U.S. citizen spouse’s qualifying employment abroad if you are filing under section 319(b). Such evidence may include:

  • The employer’ name and nature of the employer’s business;

(2) The nature of the work the U.S. citizen spouse is performing;

(3) Documentation to establish the employing entity is owned in whole or in part by U.S. interests; and

(4) Documentation to establish the employing entity is engaged in whole or in part in the development of the foreign trade and U.S. commerce.

In addition, bring the following:

(1) Your U.S. citizen spouse’s travel orders which include your name as a spouse;

(2) Documentation to establish your spouse’s employment abroad is scheduled to last for at least 1 year from the date you filed Form N-400; and

(3) A written statement of your intent to reside abroad with your spouse, and to live in the United States immediately after your spouse’s employment abroad ends.

C. Children and Support of Dependents.

Bring evidence that all of the children listed on your Form N-400 are your children. Such evidence may include:

(1) Birth certificates for all children you claim, or a court order naming you as the parent; or

(2) Final adoption certificates or decrees for all children you have legally adopted.

In addition, if you have dependent children living apart from you, bring evidence that you support each dependent child and that you have complied with child support obligations. Bring photocopies of the court or government order and evidence you have complied with the order if a court has ordered you to provide financial support for a spouse, ex-spouse, or children. Such evidence may include:

(1) Cancelled checks or money order receipts;

(2) A court or agency document showing child support payments;

(3) Evidence of wage garnishments; or

(4) A notarized letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your children.

D. Tax Returns and Overdue Taxes.

Bring photocopies of income tax returns that you filed with the IRS for the past 5 years, or 3 years if filing for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen. Tax returns are not required for every case. However, USCIS strongly encourages you to bring your tax returns; especially if you are filing based on marriage to a U.S. citizen or have traveled outside the United States for a period that lasted 6 months or more. You can request copies of Federal tax documents at your local IRS office or

You may also bring an original IRS tax transcript listing tax information for the past 5 years (3 years if filing on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen). To obtain a free IRS tax transcript, visit Select “Tools” and then select “Order a Return or Account Transcript.” For assistance, you can also call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946.

If you have any Federal, state, or local taxes that are overdue, bring:

(1) A signed agreement from the IRS, state, or local tax office showing you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and

(2) Documentation from the IRS, state, or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

E. Trips Outside the United States.

Bring evidence that you maintained your continuous residence in the United States if you have taken any trips outside the United States that lasted more than 6 months but less than 1 year.

You may submit documentation which includes, but is not limited to, evidence that during the absence:

(1) You did not terminate your employment in the United States or work overseas;

(2) Your immediate family remained in the United States; or

(3) You retained full access to your place of residence in the United States.

For example:

(1) An IRS tax return transcript or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information relevant to your absence for the last 5 years (or 3 years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen);

(2) Rent or mortgage payments and pay statements;

(3) Bank, credit card, and loan statements showing regular transactions;

(4) Proof of car registration and insurance;

(5) A photocopy of your passport showing entry and exit stamps; or

(6) Any other document that shows you have not abandoned your residence in the United States.

F. Selective Service Registration.

If you are a man between 18 and 26 years of age, provide proof of your registration with the Selective Service. If you are 26 years of age or older, provide proof that you registered with the Selective Service when you were required to do so between 18 and 26 years of age.

If you were required to register and did not, provide a typed or printed statement explaining why you did not register and provide a status information letter from the Selective Service. For more information about Selective Service registration, or how to get proof that you registered, visit or call 1-888-655-1825.

G. Arrests/Convictions.

If you have ever been arrested or detained anywhere in the world, by any law enforcement officer, for any reason, and no charges were filed, bring:

(1) An original or court-certified arrest report; and

(2) An official, certified statement from the arresting agency or applicable court confirming that no charges were filed.

If you have ever been arrested or detained anywhere in the world, by any law enforcement officer, for any reason, and charges were filed, bring:

(1) Certified photocopies of all arrest reports, charging documents, court dispositions, sentencing reports, and any other relevant documents.

(2) You may include any additional evidence in your favor concerning the circumstances of your arrests or convictions that you would like USCIS to consider.

(3) If you were placed on probation, you must provide evidence to show that you completed your probationary sentence.

If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program (such as diversion) or rehabilitative program (such as a drug treatment or community service program), bring:

(1) An original or court-certified sentencing record for each incident; and

(2) Evidence that you completed your sentence, such as a probation record, parole record, or evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program. Copies must be certified by the issuing agency.

If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged, or otherwise removed from your record, bring:

(1) An original or court-certified court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction from your record; or

(2) An original statement from the court that no record exists of your arrest or conviction.

NOTE: You must provide the documentation even if someone including a judge, law enforcement officer, or attorney told you that you no longer have a record or told you that you do not have to disclose the information.

NOTE: You must submit documentation of traffic incidents if:

(1) The incident involved alcohol or drugs;

(2) The incident led to an arrest; or

(3) The incident seriously injured another person.

You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record.

English and Civics Tests

During your naturalization interview, a USCIS Officer will ask you questions about your application and background. You will also take an English and civics test unless you qualify for an exemption or waiver. The English test has three components: reading, writing, and speaking. The civics test covers important U.S. history and government topics. See below to learn more about the test and the free study tools available to help you prepare. 

Study Materials for the English Test

Study Materials for the Civics Test

1.       Speaking Test

Your ability to speak English will be determined by a USCIS Officer during your eligibility interview on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

2.       Reading Test

You must read aloud one out of three sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to read in English. The Reading Test Vocabulary List will help you study for the English reading portion of the naturalization test. The content focuses on civics and history topics.

3.       Writing Test

You must write one out of three sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to write in English. The Writing Test Vocabulary List will help you study for the English writing portion of the naturalization test. The content focuses on civics and history topics.

4.       Civics Test

There are 100 civics questions on the naturalization test. During your naturalization interview, you will be asked up to 10 questions from the list of 100 questions. You must answer correctly six (6) of the 10 questions to pass the civics test.

You have two opportunities to take the English and civics tests per application. If you fail any portion of the test during your first interview, you will be retested on the portion of the test that you failed between 60 and 90 days from the date of your initial interview.

Helpful links:

Study for the Test

USCIS Video Presentations